Re: boot from SSA-disks?

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 05:07:02 EST

What you're proposing could be a bit tricky.

You can't import rootvg. However, if the disks are attached to the system
you could boot from them. You'd probably have to go through the SMS menus
to do it, though.

You might then have difficulties unless the configurations of your two
machines are very similar: same hardware, adapters in the same slots, same
microcode and firmware levels.

A better alternative might be to make sure that all of your application is
on external disks - SSA, I assume - available to both systems. Keep both
boxes at the same level of AIX and make sure that any script libraries etc
are kept in sync. Make sure all your user stuff - /etc/passwd,
/etc/security/passwd etc is the same. Then, if the first box fails you can
import the volume group(s) in the second box, change the hostname and
network configuration and start your application. Even then there is scope
for problems, depending on what normally runs on the second server.
However, it should ultimately be less disruptive and quicker than trying to
re-boot from a different set of disks.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.