Fun with alt_disk_install.

From: James Jackson (James.Jackson@MAIL.STATE.AR.US)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 16:57:01 EST

Fellow AIXers:

I want to use alt_disk_install to create a disk clone of rootvg for
migration from 4.3.3 to 5.1. Rootvg consists of two disks, a SCSI disk
and an SSA disk. The SCSI disk contains the AIX install, the SSA disk
contains a single LV for a software application. I structured rootvg in
this way in order to simplify system disaster recovery by using a single
mksysb tape to get back into a "core" running state.

I want to clone rootvg to two other disks, a SCSI disk and an SSA disk.
However, there does not appear to be a straight-forward way to ensure
that I end up with identical logical volume assignments from disk to
disk. For example, if the SCSI disks are hdisk0 and hdisk1, and the SSA
disks are hdisk2 and hdisk3, and hdisk0 and hdisk2 belong to rootvg, I
want to make sure that the LV's on hdisk0 end up on hdisk1, and the LV's
on hdisk2 end up on hdisk3. According to IBM, there's not a
programmatic way to do this; even futzing with the image.data won't
help.

Has anyone out there devised a scheme to do this?

Thanks,

James Jackson