Re: BCV/EMC backups on AIX

From: Gene Sais (Gsais@CO.PALM-BEACH.FL.US)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:37:37 EST

You are better off mounting them on another (backup) server. This way
you have an online backup copy and offline copy to tape w/out using any
resources of your db production server. Use recreatevg for same server
or importvg for diff server. I have used both and prefer importvg, less
scripting :).

hth,
Gene

>>> aixgeek@YAHOO.COM 11/03/03 12:33PM >>>
We have some AIX machines attached to EMC on which the
storage admins want to do a BCV-style backup. After
this the new disks will be mounted and the cold
database backup performed from these disks.

I guess this is functionally equivalent to a split
mirror backup, except that the ENTIRE disk is copied
(VGDA and PVID also). This makes it such that we have
to them remount the disks onto another system (so as
to avoid conflicts) and perform the backup from there.

Am I on the right track?

Any way I can avoid having to move the other disks to
another system? Will the recreatevg command help me
here to recreate the volume group if I were to
manually change the PVID of the BCV'd disks?

Thanks.