Re: Replacing SSA Drives

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 17:00:21 EDT

Can you mirror two different size disks?

Even if you can, if your purpose was to have more space to enlarge a
filesystem that is on this drive, your would need the same additional space
on the mirrored copy to be able to enlarge it.

I guess you would want to break the mirror, take one drive out and replace
it with the larger drive. Mirror again from the small to the large. Break
the mirror. Enlarge the filesystem on the larger drive. Remove the other
smaller drive and replace it with a larger drive too. Then re-mirror from
large drive (with enlarged filesystem) to 2nd large drive. Done

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      Tim Muller
                      <aix_sa_706@YAHO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      O.COM> cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: Replacing SSA Drives
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      10/14/2003 04:21
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Thanks. I should have mentioned that they are
mirrored, not RAID5.

Tim

--- Alexandre Sato <alexandre.sato@BR.ABNAMRO.COM>
wrote:
> Another point I should consider is if the 4.5GB disk
> is a part of RAID5
> with only disks of 4.5GB. In this case, I would not
> recommend to increase
> physical volumes on the VG, using disk with
> different sizes, specially
> because of performance issues.

=====
Tim Muller
Hamilton Co. Dept. of Job & Family Services
Cincinnati, OH USA