Re: Hard drive problem?

From: Robert Miller (rmiller@SMUD.ORG)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 11:54:31 EDT

If it's possible to take the system to single-user, then I would do so,
and run an 'fsck -y' on the unmounted filesystems to have fsck fix
anything it finds as being wrong.

It sounds like you may have a bad superblock, and there are usually
several copies of the superblock floating around on disk, so it should
be able to either repair itself or switch to a good superblock. It's
possible that you have a bad spot on the disk, or that the current
superblock just got corrupted in some way shape or form. I think that
letting fsck fix problems it finds should get things fixed up.

Granted, this comes from the old Solaris days (i386 anyone?), AIX may be
somewhat different, and/or this error may be indicative of other things
that I haven't seen yet... but that would probably be what I'd try (I'm
assuming that you're running fsck on a system in multiuser mode with the
filesystems mounted in the output below...)

Anyhow, that's probably what I would do - I've never seen errors like
that, so perhaps someone who has, has a different way to go about
getting this fixed. :)

--rm