Re: problem with configure thin node ethernet interface

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 03:27:09 EDT

en0 and et0 are different protocols on the same interface, so you cannot use
both of them.

If you have to make changes to en0, then I would encourage you to do it
through PSSP rather than make direct changes. If the entries in the SDR are
not the same as those on the node you could run into trouble later; at the
very least the next time you customize the node en0 will be put back the way
it was.

If you need to have an extra IP address on this node you may be able to set
up an alias on en0, but if so don't do it through the ODM: use some sort of
startup script to add it using ifconfig. If you put it in the ODM then
again: you risk it being deleted next time the node is customized. We make
quite a lot of use of aliases on en0, which are controlled by scripts in
/etc/inittab. If that's no good, then you really need to have a second
physical adapter.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.

<SNIP>