Re: Tape Drive Failure

From: Tim Muller (aix_sa_706@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 10:01:56 EDT

--- Alexandre Sato <alexandre.sato@BR.ABNAMRO.COM>
wrote:
> As you can see on errpt output, probably cause of
> this problem should be
> dirty read/write head or defective media. Based on
> this:
>
> - Did you try using cleaning tape?
> - Did you try restore from a new media?
>
> You said that the tape drive was replaced recently,
> so I would expect that
> the problem issue should be an old or damaged tape
> media. This usually
> occurs with olders backups. My advice: when using
> DDS tape drives (4mm)
> for important backups, do it at least once a week
> with two copies.

Thank you very much for the info. We replaced all the
tapes just before replacing the tape drive, and we
clean the drive weekly. Maybe we should try cleaning
the drive daily... although the drive only runs about
3 hours per day, to perform this one nightly backup.

=====
Tim Muller
Hamilton Co. Dept. of Job & Family Services
Cincinnati, OH USA