Re: p670 access through HMC

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 14:02:21 EDT

Mark,

All the info you have been getting is "correct" and the RedBook will make
that clear. But I think the one thing you are asking has not been
said/answered.... "How do I load a system (P670) that has no CD locally?"

You will have to have a virtual console window from the HMC so that you can
talk to the box and setup SMS network settings. Then, your only choice for
getting the 5.2 OS onto this empty system is to NIM the P670 from a NIM
server that is at or above the OS you are trying to install.

Please feel free to write back if you would like more info. I am new at
this (P670's that is, not NIM), but we just did the same a couple months
ago.

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      Mark Lamport
                      <lamport@KCMETRO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      .CC.MO.US> cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: p670 access through HMC
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      08/12/2003 10:25
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

I just got in a user p670 that doesn't have a graphics card. It is
connected to a HMC console but the 670 has no bootable image. I want to
install AIX 5.2 but how am I going to communicate through the install
process. It must be through the HMC, can someone give me the path?

thanks.

Mark Lamport