compare file dates across nodes

From: Shawn Bierman (BiermanS@METHODISTHEALTH.ORG)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 10:21:33 EDT

Is it possible to script this function? I would like to get the date of a file on a remote node ( with rsh ) and compare it to the date of a file on my local box. If its newer than the local file then do something if not do something else...kind of thing.

without having to do something like: rsh nf1n01en1 ls -l /mksysb_dir/bos.obj.nf1n01en1.31Jul03| awk '{print $6 $7}'

which returns: Jul31

is there a command that can get the date of a file and return it in numeric form or something?

this is aix5.1

-shawn