Re: FAStT 600 and AIX

From: Peter McKay (Peter.McKay@INFINITY.CO.NZ)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 17:30:47 EDT

Thanks Michael.

You are the guy!

Kind Regards,

Peter McKay
Technical Consultant
Infinity Solutions
Unit 3, 1 Show Place
Addington, Christchurch
Ph: (03) 9637965, Mob: (027) 2301884
Fx: (03) 9637941
www.infinitysolutions.co.nz <http://www.infinitysolutions.co.nz/>

  _____

        From: Wheelock, Michael D
[mailto:Michael.Wheelock@INTEGRIS-HEALTH.COM]
        Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 2:15 AM
        To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU

        Hi,

        We have a fastt 700 (basically same software and design, but
certainly the same limitations on your question). Here is the skinny.
What we are actually talking about are two different and separate
phases.

        Phase 1
        Dynamic array expansion. This is the phase where you add a new
physical unit to an existing array (which may contain multiple logical
arrays). This creates "unused space" in the array which can be used to
create logical arrays or expand existing ones.

        Phase 2
        Dynamic volume expansion. This is the phase where the
volume/logical array/lun/hdisk gets expanded. We actually tested this
with AIX 5.1 and 5.2. According to the manuals I have read, dynamic
volume expansion is possible on AIX 5.1 and 5.2. This is, however, a
lie. AIX 5.2 is the only revision that is capable of DVE. The extra
capacity is seen by running cfgmgr, but the second step is to adjust the
logical volume to include more pp's. This involves the chvg -g command
(which is only in 5.2). I actually placed a support call about this
that was escalated to "engineering". They basically stated that the
manual is wrong. On the other hand, in AIX 5.2 it works like a charm.

        Michael