AIX and Oracle Cold Backup

From: Dearman, Richard (rdearm1@UIC.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 16:13:18 EDT

We rs6000 running aix 4.3.3 with and oracle database. We don't want to shut
the database down to do cold backups every month because of the downtime.
We currently use volume group mirroring to keep 2 copies of the database.
Is it possible in aix to unmirror the volume group then mount the unactive
mirror set on another aix box then do a cold back of those disks. Then
mirror them again on the production server once the back up is completed on
the other server. We have SAN so the disk are accessible to both nodes. We
currently do this on our vms system which has a large oracle database but we
want to do the same thing on our ais systems.

If this is possible please explain, how.

Thanks

email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of th individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for
delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
delete it and notify the sender or contact Health Information Management
312.413.4947.