Re: timed and a VM time server

From: Bill Verzal (BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:49:42 EDT

You might consider using xntpd (ntp) on the AIX side. /etc/ntp.conf - put
the IP address of the VMS side. Then startsrc -s xntpd

BV

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

| | lherbst@PROPAPPR.M|
| | ARION.FL.US |
| | Sent by: IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | <aix-l@Princeton.E|
| | DU> |
| | |
| | |
| | 07/29/2003 03:21 |
| | PM |
| | Please respond to |
| | IBM AIX Discussion|
| | List |
| | |
  | |
  | To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU |
  | cc: |
  | Subject: timed and a VM time server |

We have a time server set up on a IBM mainframe running VM. All of our PCs
synch their clocks to the mainframe. We want to do this with our Notes
server (AIX 5L) as well. I've started timed, but it does not seem to find
the mainframe as a time server. I've used timedc to try to elect the
mainframe as the master time server - I don't get any errors, but the Notes
server still does not synch its clock. When I try to request the time
difference between the two machines using timedc, I get a valid response
back from the mainframe and it shows the correct time difference. When I
try to find the master time server with timedc I get a "communication
error" message. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks,

Lee Herbst
Programmer/Analyst
Marion County Property Appraiser