What type of RAID to choose

From: dballester@KERNPHARMA.COM
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 12:40:41 EDT

Hi people:
      I have a new p650 with FastT700. This FastT have 14 disks of 73 Gb.
We plan to give disk service to SAP/Oracle, Some linux servers ( samba ),
Lotus Notes, some type of document workflow, and some separate Oracle
machines. We are having some discussions on how to assign the disks to the
different servers. Once thinks that must be with only mirroring and
assigning separate disks to databases ( balancing data/index and giving
access on this disks only to database) The databases amount are less than
the disk amount. IMMO, i think that, in this case, may be more usefull
RAID10 of 12 Disks and 2 hot spare disks, creating Logical disks where is
amount should be part/multiple of real disk capacity. I know that all
servers will compete for disk access, but with RAID10, fastT cache, disk
speed and some stadistics, may be the wait for disk acces can be low...

Any tips? Anyone with this type of scenario?

Regards and TIAs, as always

David