Re: Antw: Korn Shell Q

From: Bob.Kelley@BRINKSINC.COM
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 09:51:25 EDT

thats one hell of an over-engineered grep!! :)

reminds me of my Ping driver headcover.......

| | Dieter Zavelberg |
| | <dieter.zavelberg@P|
| | OSTBANK.DE> |
| | Sent by: IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | <aix-l@Princeton.ED|
| | U> |
| | |
| | |
| | 07/03/2003 02:07 AM|
| | Please respond to |
| | IBM AIX Discussion |
| | List |
| | |
  | |
  | To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU |
  | cc: |
  | Subject: Antw: Korn Shell Q |

what about (for ksh)

$ cat qwert ("your grep")
qqq
aaa
yyy
www
sss
xxx
$ l=$(cat qwert | xargs)
$ echo $l
qqq aaa yyy www sss xxx
$ set -A VAR $l # create array VAR with elements from "list" $l
$ echo ${VAR[*]} # display all elements of VAR
qqq aaa yyy www sss xxx
$ echo ${#VAR[*]} # number of elements in VAR
6
$ echo ${VAR[0]} # first element has index 0
qqq
$ echo ${VAR[${#VAR[*]}-1]} # last element
xxx

>>> Singh@XAVIER.EDU 02.07.03 17:01:02 >>>
Hello,

Quick, simple korn shell question:

I have the result of grep and cut commands that shows multiple lines. For
example:

345trh
hur88
kjsdhf
eryyt9
333ret

How can I divide these lines to feed into variables? That is, each of the
above lines needs to be assigned to a variable.

Thanks

--------------------------------
"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."
--------------------------------
Ranbir Singh
System Administrator
Xavier University
Cincinnati, Ohio
O: 513.745.3889
E: singh@xavier.edu
NOTICE TO BRINK'S EMPLOYEES:
All electronic mail communications composed, sent, received or stored on or
through Brink's equipment are subject to the Brink's Electronic
Communications Policy. Employees should have no expectation of privacy in
their use of the Company's electronic mail system.