Re: mail problem

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 13:14:17 EDT

Barry,

I'm sorry if you were offended by my responce however there is no excuse
for not testing this. You don't need to know anything about "augusta
china@test.com", just make up an address. I tested both of these solutions
in about 30 seconds...

>mail -s "test" "dummy bill.thompson"@goodyear.com </etc/group
dummy... User unknown
/root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter

mail -s "test" "<dummy a327589@goodyear.com>" </etc/group
<dummy... There is a missing '<' character
<dummy... User unknown
bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
<dummy, bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '<' character
bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
<dummy, bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '<' character
<dummy... There is a missing '<' character
bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
/root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter
<dummy, bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '<' character
bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.

As you can see the results are very valid. Neither works!

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2