Tuning P655 for NFS only

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 15:31:53 EDT

Going to put into production two P655 running AIX 5.1 ML03. Both are
attached to a FAStT500 and to an EMC Clariion CX600.

The sole purpose of these two servers is to server filesystems to hundreds
of UNIX systems. Many of these NFS clients will be AIX desktops, but
others will be large, non-IBM FEA servers pushing and pulling gigs of data.

Also, we have installed FastConnect on these two P655 in hopes of serving
the same data to PC's too. (Anyone with FastConnect experience, love to
hear from you too.)

Anyway, can someone point me to what systems settings I want to adjust to
get the absolute best NFS performance out of these two systems? There will
be no logging in to these boxes; no running programs; No X..... Just NFS
(and FastConect).

By the way, these systems will be in a HA setting to fail to each other if
need be. Each has a single gigabit copper ethernet connection. They also
have two 10/100 Mbit ports, but one will be for heartbeat between them and
the other is being used as a private network for communication with the
P610 HWS (Hardware WorkStation) and the FAStT500. If that is not optimal,
let me know that too.

Thanks a bunch,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.