Re: Hardware Support : IBM vs STK

From: Page, Jennifer (Jennifer.Page@RBCDAIN.COM)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 16:40:19 EDT

We us STK with Cambex HBA's, and are very happy.

We have a very simple environment, no HACMP, however the STK/Cambex
allows us fail over capabilities (on the fly). We are a small shop so
this is has really helped out our maintenance schedules/times. Not
having to support all the external units, as we have consolidated with
STK, is so much better. Moving the devices around from server to server
is also very simple, can't do as easily with external units on the
floor.

IBM

----
IBM does not support STK however I have been able to get generic answers
from the help line, in regards to the trouble shooting we have called in
for.
STK
----
They seem to be helpful, but not sure we have had the hardware around
long enough to experience any major issues.  I will ask our SAN folks
(on vacation now) for some input.  Our configuration is set up for Raid
5 and I believe we have had to replace a disk.  This would not have
cause a outage for AIX, except the STK guy pulled the wrong disk when
replacing.  Even then we did not loose data, just had some JFS's that
needed to be fixed (fsck).
Emulex/IBM vs. Cambex
The Cambex cards have fail over software (mentioned above) that allow
for multiple paths to the same devices (one hot at a time).  This made
Cambex a better HBA, as our SAN folks were not happy about coordinating
down time for maintenance upgrades.  Perhaps the other HBA's now/also
have failover software as well, so may want to look into this.
-Jennifer