Re: performance question

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 10:35:20 EDT

Surely that was only the case on pre 4.2 systems: a fault in the algorithm
for SMP systems. These days, if it reports wait time, then something really
is waiting.

Moving from a 4-way to a 2-way system might lead to increased wait times.
Even though the total CPU capacity is increased there are now only two
engines available, so if one of them gets clogged up servicing I/O you lose
50% of capacity instead of just 25%.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.