Re: Porting ksh scripts?

From: Gene Sais (Gsais@CO.PALM-BEACH.FL.US)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 16:21:59 EDT

I find for multi-OS scripts, I prefer to have a case statement that sets
an env variable for the command to be used. Unix is unix until you
switch OS's and your ksh scripts do not work anymore :). AIX probably
has the most OS specific commands of any of the flavors. And Linux is
bash friendly. If you want ksh, download the pdksh, it works well.
Gene

>>> SchmiTD@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM 05/20/03 03:26PM >>>
RedHat does not ship a ksh. Our software runs on three platforms,
Solaris,
AIX, and RedHat Linux, and we use /bin/sh which is of course bash on
RedHat.
Differences off the top of my head are in "df", "echo", "grep", "tar",
and
any of the awk/sed tools. These tools seem to change on about every
release
of RedHat.
Terry