mksysb restore via NIM problems

From: Christian Lair (Christian_Lair@I2.COM)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 13:45:35 EDT

Hello all,

I'm currently running into a problem trying to restore a mksysb via NIM
and thought that someone here may be able to help me out. I'll give you
some detailed background.

I've got a S85 that I need to migrate to a 6M1 due to lease expiration.
I've made a mksysb image file using the command mksysb -i
/mksysb/clone.image and it seems to be OK. I've verified it using
lsmksysb.

We have a master NIM server that has been used in the past to install
4.3.3 and 5.1 just never from mksysb. It already has a spot and lpp
directory for both versions. But for this exercise I only care about
4.3.3. On the master I created a resource out of the mksysb image so that
I can allocate it to the client. Seemed to go just fine, shows up
everywhere its supposed to. I made the 6M1 a standalone NIM client. Once
again everything seemed to go just fine. Using the web management tool I
set the client up for a bos install. I set the installation type to
mksysb, pointed the spot directory at the 4.3.3 version of spot that we
have and set the lpp directory to the 4.3.3 lpp that we have. I didn't set
anything else. When I hit OK the client machine rebooted, but then just
came back up to the OS that it shipped from IBM with.

I dropped my bootp into diag mode and confirmed that the client is
actually talking to the NIM master and is receiving an IP from it. All
looks well as far as bootp goes. Then I booted my system into SMS and went
through the menus until I found an entry to select Installation Device. I
set this to Ethernet and let it rip. The machine does the normal "Waiting
for Spanning Tree" or something like that, then starts sending bootp
requests. The first request is answered and you can see that it gets its
host name and IP from the NIM master. Here's where the problems start, the
machine sits there for a few seconds then scrolls a banner reading "No
Operating System Installed". I have no idea what's going on.

I would love to be able to just use a tape for the mksysb but the 6M1
doesn't have one, just a CD-ROM.

Thanks,
Christian Lair

For information on Unix News go to http://unix-support.i2.com