Re: Low Memory

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 11:12:56 EDT

A high free memory value just means wasted memory. AIX is too smart to
allow that.

If it really does drop to 0 frequently you may have a problem, but it will
show up in the paging and fr/sr values.

The amount of paging space you use is heavily application dependent. One of
the servers I look after uses up to 70GB paging space, with 16GB (iirc) of
RAM, but that's entirely normal for the application. (Although it's not a
brilliantly written application, from what I can tell.)

I normally start off by looking at pi/po. Yours looks tolerable -
especially if your users are happy. You might like to check your VMM
settings with vmtune as the defaults are not normally appropriate for a
database server.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.

<SNIP>