Re: adding disks to an rs6000 f50

From: Thierry ITTY (thierry.itty@BESANCON.ORG)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 12:05:48 EDT

Hello Simon

I used smit, not commands
disks appear in listings (and that's what led me to wrong conclusions...)
I didn't run diags because it's a machine i can hardly stop

some more investigations and tries showed endly a problem with the scsi cable
I replaced it with a brand new one and now everything is working fine

I think this kind of problem happens when only a wire of the wide part
(data bits 8-15) is defective, because it's not used in basic scsi
protocol, only for data transfer (well, it's my opinion). It would of
course have been much easier to diagnostic if it had been another wire...

thanks a lot

A 12:15 09/05/2003 +0200, vous avez écrit :
>Try deleting the hdisks and reconfiguring them with cfgmgr -v -l scsi1, (or
>whatever number the adapter is).
>What do lscfg -vpl hdiskXX and lsattr -El hdiskXX show?
>Have you run diagnostics against the disks?
>What does "lsdev -Cl disk" show? Does it recognise what sort of disk they
>are?
>Are you running mkvg as root?

>> hello
>>
>> I have an RS6000 F50 AIX 433 and I need to add some disk space
>>
>> I tried to add several kind of disks (hp, ibm ...) using an external
>> cabinet connected to the standard external scsi connector (30-58)
>>
>> I can add the disks which become available but I can't use them, for
>> example when I try to make a new vg on it (smit system memory/logical
>> volumes/volume groups/add) I get the following errors :
>> 0516-024 mkvg : unable to open the physical volume
>> 0516-862 mkvg : unable to create a volume group
>> 0514-047 : unable to access a device (/etc/methods/chgdisk)
>>
>> what am i missing ?

Bien sûr que je suis perfectionniste !
Mais ne pourrais-je pas l'être mieux ?
        Thierry ITTY