Re: Idiots guide to setting up Samba

From: Davies Sue (sdavies@BARKING-DAGENHAM.GOV.UK)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 08:59:44 EDT

Have a look at the documentation on www.samba.org it has pretty much
everything you need to know

Sue Davies
London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
Civic Centre
Wood Lane
Dagenham
RM10 7BY
020 8227 2737

-----Original Message-----
From: Arthur Prince [mailto:arthurp@TOTALISE.CO.UK]
Sent: 07 May 2003 09:43
To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
Subject: Idiots guide to setting up Samba

All

Thanks for pointing me at Samba for an NFS client. I have downloaded and
installed it. Anyone got a simple guide to configuring it etc? I've looked
at
the man pages but am still unsure how to proceed

AP

-
Read a good book lately?
Submit your book reviews to www.loial.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------|

--------------------------------------------------|

>IMHO the best software to share Unix filesystems with Windooze machines is
>Samba. NFS suffers from non-reliable connections over UDP (no sequencing,
>no error-connection...). Don't know about Fast Connect but cost-wise it
>doesn't compete with Samba.
>
>HTH,
>
>Marlon.
>
>/*
>Marlon Borba
>Divisao de Suporte Tecnico
>TRF 3a. Regiao
>(11) 3311-4683 e 9692-8357
>mborba@trf3.gov.br - marlonborba@acm.org
>-------
>"We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We
>believe in rough consensus and a
>running code."
>--Dave Clark, pioneiro da Internet
>*/
>
>>> tracylists@YAHOO.COM 06/05/03 15:06 >>>
>I'm probably about the only boob out there that uses
>Fast Connect.  No, it is not free, you must purchase
>it.  It works ok, but we're not using it on a large
>scale basis.
http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk
E-mail confidentiality notice.
This message is intended for the addressee(s) only.
It is private, confidential and may be covered by legal
professional privilege or other confidentiality requirements.
If you are not one of the intended recipients, please notify
the sender immediately on +44(0)20-8592-4500 and delete the
message from all locations in your computer network.
Do not copy this e-mail or use it for any purpose or disclose
its contents to any person:  to do so may be unlawful'