Re: SP2 Questions

From: MARLON BORBA (MBORBA@TRF3.GOV.BR)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 11:11:36 EDT

strange statement that of your 'class' as AIX is not a Micro$oft child... never heard about it.

is the hardware for ethernet already installed and recognized by the operating system? did you assigned the correct IP addresses, tried to put the ethernet up (ifconfig en0 up) and made the usual tests (ping, traceroute...)? what about routing (netstat...)?

that could be a simple matter of reconfiguring your system via smit and utilities. your SP2 is not a wintel toy.

regards,

marlon.

/*
Marlon Borba
Divisao de Suporte Tecnico
TRF 3a. Regiao
(11) 3311-4683 e 9692-8357
mborba@trf3.gov.br - marlonborba@acm.org
-------
"We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We
believe in rough consensus and a
running code."
--Dave Clark, pioneiro da Internet
*/

>>> bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM 06/05/03 11:52 >>>
Admins,

Our networking staff is working to eliminate the remaining Token Ring in
our environment. I have to move a Control Workstation and one SP node from
Token Ring to Ethernet. This means a change in the WAN address.

I remember from class they said the best way to do this was to completely
re-install the OS on the node (which is not a problem because the node in
question is not in use right now). Is this still true? Having never done
this can somebody give me a brief overview of the steps involved to make
sure I don't overlook anything?

I don't remember going over how to change the WAN address of the Control
Workstation. Is that just a smitty change or do I have to worry about
changing something in SDR as well?

TIA

 Bill Thompson
 Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
 The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

 Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
 May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The
 Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.