Re: SP2 Questions

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 11:30:18 EDT

OK: you're going from an SP2 with one Ethernet, (SP2 Administrative
Ethernet) and one Token Ring (your public interface) to an SP2 with two
Ethernets: one public and one private. Yes?

The only things which the SP2 really gets upset about are the
Administrative, (private) Ethernet network - which you're not touching - and
the CWS Hostname, which should be set to the en0 alias.

That being the case, you can change your Token Ring network in exactly the
same way as you would on any standalone server, including changes to the
nodes' hostnames, if that's desired. The only thing which could suffer is
Kerberized rsh etc, as the new network won't be in /etc/krb-srvtab. You can
update that manually if you need to, or a customize will take care of it.

It would be wise to update the nodes' SDR entries at some point, but PSSP
doesn't care about anything other than en0 and the SP Switch, (if you have
one).

If you need to mess with en0 in any way, it is not necessary to re-install.
Simply delete the node from the SDR, (spdelnode), add the new information to
the SDR and then customize the node. That'll work fine and is a lot less
time and trouble than re-installing. Always remember to make plenty of use
of SDRArchive.

My preference would be to do a customize anyway, but you could make the
changes immediately and put off the customize until your next maintenance
window.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.