Re: clearing wtmp

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 11:39:40 EDT

The quick and simple way is "> /var/adm/wtmp", to clear out the whole thing.
You could make a copy of it first, if you like, so that you've got some sort
of archive, or just to have the previous week/month's data.

Alternatively, you can use the fwtmp command to convert it to plain text;
process it in some way to discard unwanted records; then use fwtmp again to
convert it back.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2> &r=1&w=2
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aix-faq/>

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.