Re: paging facts

From: Raj Atwal (atwalrs@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 16:00:34 EDT

It is true that all paging space logical volumes should be sized the same. This is due to the round-robin method that AIX uses, and it does provide better system performance. I don't believe that having invariable paging sizes would cause the system to cease functioning though. The "ideal" rules for paging are 1. same size2. different physical drives3. centre of the disk for systems that page a little more than average. HTH

Shawn Bierman <BiermanS@METHODISTHEALTH.ORG> wrote:Greetings,

I've been discussing paging with others that I work with here and would like to get some facts straight about paging.

I believe its been written that paging filesystems must all be of the same size. AIX uses a round-robin technique for paging so keeping them the same size is important. Does this mean that if you have unevenly sized paging that if the smaller paging fills to 100% that the others will not be used and the system will somehow seize up?

We have systems like this, with say hd6 being 512M and a 1G paging filesystem in another vg. I've seen where the smaller of the two would fill to 100% but the system continues to function.

What are the hard facts regarding paging in AIX 5.1 and 4.3.3 and what are your experiences?

tia,
-shawn

Shawn L. Bierman
Unix Technical Support Analyst II