paging facts

From: Shawn Bierman (BiermanS@METHODISTHEALTH.ORG)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 15:48:24 EDT

Greetings,

I've been discussing paging with others that I work with here and would like to get some facts straight about paging.

I believe its been written that paging filesystems must all be of the same size. AIX uses a round-robin technique for paging so keeping them the same size is important. Does this mean that if you have unevenly sized paging that if the smaller paging fills to 100% that the others will not be used and the system will somehow seize up?

We have systems like this, with say hd6 being 512M and a 1G paging filesystem in another vg. I've seen where the smaller of the two would fill to 100% but the system continues to function.

What are the hard facts regarding paging in AIX 5.1 and 4.3.3 and what are your experiences?

tia,
-shawn

Shawn L. Bierman
Unix Technical Support Analyst II