How Do I Print to a second tray

From: Bruce Whittaker (bwhittak@ENERGY.COM.AU)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 23:27:52 EDT

Hi all,

I've got a curious issue which may be a little off track (apologies). I
have a PCL printer (HP 5si) to which I'm trying to print a converted
postscript file - but I want it to go to tray 3. Text prints to the second
tray fine but not converted postscript.

My setup is as follows,

1. My Test Postcript file.
        ---------------------------------
                %!PS-Adobe-3.0
                statusdict begin
                2 setpapertray
                end clippath stroke showpage
        -----------------------------------

2. Convert a postscript file to PCL format using ghostscript.
        /usr/local/bin/gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=ljet3
-sOutputFile=MY_PCL_FILE < POSTSCRIPT.ps

3. Print the postscript file to tray 3.
        /usr/bin/qprt -u2 -PMY_PRINTER MY_PCL_FILE

If I issue the qprt com on a text file, the printer selects the correct
paper tray. If however I use ghostscript to convert a postscript file it
ends up on the default tray (tray 2).

I've tried changing the tray number in the postscript file between 0 and 3
to no avail.
I've tried setting up a printer queue which has the default tray set to
tray 3. It again works for text only.

Any ideas ?

Bruce Whittaker,
CASS Support,
Extension 34193
External (02) 9269 4193.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return
e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected
your business contact details for dealing with you in your business
capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information,
including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.