Re: AIX license costs

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 04:44:10 EST

AIX 4.3.3 is free, (where free="no additional cost"). You get it
automatically with a server, (until June).

I made some inquiries recently for AIX5L. The cost was per-cpu, and was the
same no matter what the type of server or processor. Same price for 5.1 and
5.2.

It's hard to say what the 5.2 licence for your H50 would cost: it may depend
on customer discounts, and of course anything I see is in a different
currency so it's subject to exchange rates and global pricing differences.
Not less than USD500 and not more than USD2000.

I'm not sure what that faffing around with serial numbers was about. I
guess they just want to make sure you're a legitimate customer and not a
journalist or something like that.

To actually purchase a license it's not unreasonable that they'd need a
serial number.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.