Re: [Q] AIX 4.3.3 end of support?

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 09:15:14 EST

You will still have access to the APAR and PTF database, so you can download
existing fixes.

IBM will not normally develop new fixes. In the past, they have made an
exception for some security fixes. But don't count on it! Also, they're a
business so if you throw enough money at them they'll provide a new fix.
That could be a _lot_ of money, though.

Whether they will assist with problems - short of developing a fix - will
depend on your support contract, I guess, but don't count on it.

You're also likely to encounter problems with support for other products
which are supported, but are running on AIX 4.3.3. e.g. HACMP/ES 4.4.1 runs
on 4.3.3 and 5.1, and it's still supported. IBM will provide support for
it, (I assume) but if it's running on AIX 4.3.3 they're going to start by
recommending you upgrade to AIX 5.1 and you may have a struggle to get much
co-operation.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.