Re: Regatta Thoughts...

From: Darryl Ousterhout (D.Ousterhout@LABSAFETY.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 16:26:22 EST

We have a new 690 running with 1.2 TB of SAN attached ESS800 disk, 8
processors and 8GB of memory. This system replaced a 12way S70 with 1TB of
SSA attached disk.

We configured the 690 with 6 processors and 4GB of memory for 1 partition
and the second partition got the rest. Our main Oracle environment saw huge
improvements in speed and processing. The Oracle import and export process
for optimizing the databases took a 24 hour period before as where it's
running in about 7 hours now with twice the amount of data. Our nightly
batch processing that was 9 hours is now down to just about 4.

As for the administration, if you came from an SP setup, I find this a whole
lot easier to manage. The setup is fairly simple if you know AIX at all. And
with a little reading the partitioning isn't all that difficult either. The
classes teach the 'behind the scenes' functionality that the Regatta has,
but you don't necessarily need it to get it running.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Darryl