Re: syslogd daemon stops writing output.

From: Chris Gregors (Chris.Gregors@TELUS.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 15:05:31 EST

I've seen syslogd stop writing the log files, if the filesystem that the
logfile is on hits 100% utilization (0 blocks free). We write our log
files to the /var filesystem and if someone blows up /var/tmp, it causes
syslogd to stop writing. The only solution is to restart syslogd.

I would also alarm the filesystems that syslogd writes to and make sure
the S.A.'s managing the system have restarting syslogd when the
filesystem has hit 100% utilization.

Chris Gregors
Telus Enterprise Solutions