Re: Administrative accounts

From: Shawn Bierman (BiermanS@METHODISTHEALTH.ORG)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 11:51:43 EST

Is sudo a good substitute for Roles in AIX? The users that will be using this are those who currently use the root account to get their jobs done. They are trusted users (myself included) and are our AIX admins.

If I understand sudo correctly (limited experience with it) a session goes something like this:
# sudo vi /etc/hosts
password: <enter your own password>
(edit the file)
# vi /etc/hosts (can edit again without using sudo due to a timeout value that hasn't passed)

Is that correct?

>>> MyersD@GOALAMO.COM 3/11/03 2:58:02 PM >>>
I believe AIX supports the notion of "roles". You can assign various tasks
to particular users, without giving them root access.

You also may want to investigate sudo.