Re: Mirroring question

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 07:28:20 EST

When you create a new mirror copy with the mklvcopy command the -k flag
indicates that the copy is to be synchronised immediately. This is NOT the
default. I usually prefer to leave it off, so that I can confirm that the
copy has been allocated correctly before running a syncvg in the background,
(although for smaller LVs I'll run it in the foreground).

Once the copies are synchronised they should remain so under normal
circumstances. Sometimes, because of disk errors, or other I/O failures,
the copies may lose synchronisation and can become stale. This can be seen
in lsvg, lslv or lspv output. When this happens it is necessary to run
syncvg to re-synchronise the copies. Usually, this would be "syncvg -l
<your_LV>". Unless you tell it otherwise this will just re-synchronise the
stale partitions so it won't take very long provided you catch it early.

If you have an error report for hardware or I/O errors it is wise to check
that you have no stale partitions. We run an additional monitoring script
which checks all volume groups periodically.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2> &r=1&w=2