Re: DB2 UDB Info

From: Ian D. Bjorhovde (ianbjor@MOBILEAUDIO.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 23:35:06 EST

BSARMA wrote:
> Oracle Provide Installation and Configuration guide that explains the
> steps indetail, I am looking some thing similar in db2 udb for aix on
> IBM RS6000 boxes.

Read the book "Quick Beginnings for DB2 Servers", esp. Chapter 8.

> I chose the gui tool (db2setup, i think) to install the binaries and
> create the DB, by default it installed the db2 udb binaries in
> /usr/opt/db2_08_01.
>
> 1. Is ther way to specify my own location to install the db2udb binaries.

Not really, but this shouldn't really matter. When you create a DB2
instance, it gets its own copies of the installed binaries (well, some
files are copied and some are just soft links). The rest of the files
associated with the instance are wherever you want them. The location
of the instance is controlled, of course, by where the instance owner's
home directory is.

> 2. I am looking for an ER digram or some explanation of all the db2 udb
> dictionary catalogs for day to day administration
>
> 3. In Oracle
> *select * from dict;*
> lists all the dictionary catalogs and one or two line comments about
> each catalog. *How I can get similar info from db2 udb.*

Your best bet for these two is to read the SQL Reference, Volume 1
and read Appendix D (Catalog Views). This contains detailed descriptions
of each table and its columns.

Good luck,