Re: Problem with cron...

From: Bob Booth - UIUC (booth@UIUC.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 13:13:56 EST

Something in the crontab that root or another user is attempting to run may
not be exiting properly.

Check all crontabs in /var/spool/cron/crontabs for possible program problems.

When the crontab is filed with crontab -e the crontab program attempts to
signal cron that a crontab has changed, so you don't have to signal cron
yourself. If cron is not responding, or can't be killed you will receive an
error message from the crontab command.

cron is set to respawn in /etc/inittab, so if you attempt to kill it without
turning it off in inittab, init will just start it up again.

bob