Re: disk I/O throughput

From: Adams Kevin J (kevin.adams@PHS.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 14:32:26 EST

Mounir,

Your fcs0 adapter settings for num_cmd_elems and max_xfer_size are at max,
so not much you can do there.

However, your hdisk queue_depth might be a little low, with the range being
1-256. A redbook I once read suggessted 75, but I'm unable to find it to
verify.

We have a 2109 switched SAN, with 4 path vpaths and 2 6227 FC adapters per
host, and according to NMON, we max out at 18 MBps per vpath. We little or
no i/o wait though.

We have your exact settings for the adapters and hdisk. We had to lower the
hdisk queue_depth back down from 75 to 20 because we were overrunning the
host adapter num_cmd_elems, and this was done at ML08 without a PTF to apply
in emergency mode when the adapters froze. The temp fix was to raise the
adapters num_cmd_elems to max, and lower hdisk queue_depth back to default
of 20. It's been fixed via PTF, just can't make any more changes right now.

At a TSM class at Userblue, the speaker said they have found the host FC
adapters to be the limiting bottleneck. You have only 2?

Kevin Adams