Re: Samba - cannot authenticate the user from win2k pc

From: Jolet, John (John.Jolet@MISYSHEALTHCARE.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 07:14:46 EST

I don't think you can get samba to authenticate off of nis. You CAN get it
to authenticate off of ldap, but it's not straightforward. The easiest
thing to do is enable swat (you should have the docs for that in your samba
distribution). The reason you can't authenticate off of nis is it has a
(probably) crypt encrypted password. samba (and windows, etc) don't use
crypt...they use something much less secure. In fact, your password is
stored in two methods. One is the older lanman format, where the string is
broken down into two 7-byte (i think it's 7) strings and encrypted
seperately (making hacking much easier, incidentally). The other is more
secure, but since it's the same password in two formats, all you have to do
is hack the easy one.

for command-line use...you should have a command called "smbpasswd".
"smbpasswd -a username" run as root will add username to the smbpasswd file
specified in your smb.conf, and prompt for a password. without the -a, it
lets you change the password.