Re: home directories being deleted

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 11:13:19 EST

I don't see this happening without any real user intervention unless:

1.) there's a script which runs check, everyone's crontab and look through
those scripts it has scheduled for anything like this.
2.) "ps -ef ", check the Unix process table for anything which could be
looping in the background which could be doing this although I can't
imagine why?.
3.) Maybe you have a backup product which archives that stuff then deletes
it in TSM we have a command called: "dsmc archive /path/* -remove=yes"
4.) Check to see if "skulker" is active, if it is then look at the script
maybe someone added something in there.

If all else fails put on AIX AUDITING and enable the file edit classes. Let
it run for a week or so and as soon as the files go away again take a look
at the audit log. Let us know how you make out this is very curious to me.
Thanks!

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix Systems Administrator (Sungard eSourcing)
Desk: (856) 866 - 4017
Cell: (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein@sungard.com

                      Becher Jonathan
                      Todd To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      <jtbeche@ILSTU.ED cc:
                      U> Subject: home directories being deleted
                      Sent by: IBM AIX
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      01/23/2003 10:55
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Somehow, a few of the user home directories(/home/(user) have been deleted,
and this isn't the first time it has happened for one user. Also, somehow
my .profile has been deleted on a couple of occasions in my home directory.
It doesn't seem as if anyone is specifically going in and deleting these,
but is there a way for me to check this? Has this happened to anyone
before, and if so, what is happening? Thanks for any help.