Mirroring non-paging dump device LV: Myth?

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 00:01:33 EST

I've heard it said since the AIX 4.3.2 days that you
could safely mirror your dump device. But, the
mirrorvg script (even at AIX 5.1) *still* checks for
any non-paging dump devices and will *not* mirror
them. Here's a comment from the /usr/sbin/mirrorvg
script on AIX 5.1 (edited for my mail service):

the logical volumes in a volume group. It will first
gather the name of all the logical volumes and then
for each logical volume it will see if some condition
prevents it from being mirrored, such as it is a dump
device but NOT a paging device. Once the logical
volume has been determined to be mirrorable, a
snapshot of the logical volume location is taken and
this is used to create the second and/or third mirror
map so that the physical partition layout for the
mirrors are identical.

So.... are you supposed to be able to mirror your hd7
or lg_dumplv LVs? If so, can anyone find a reference?

- pAG