Re: 2 dump questions

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 23:58:08 EST

Here's something I dug up:

From:
http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pseries/en_US/aixprggd/kernextc/configdump.htm

When you install the operating system, the dump device
is automatically configured for you. By default, the
primary device is /dev/hd6, which is a paging logical
volume, and the secondary device is /dev/sysdumpnull.

Note
If your system has 4 GB or more of memory, the default
dump device is /dev/lg_dumplv, and is a dedicated dump
device.

If you are using AIX 4.3.2 or later, compressing your
system dumps before they are written to the dump
device will reduce the size needed for dump devices.
Refer to the sysdumpdev command for more details.

Starting with AIX 5.1, the dumpcheck facility will
notify you if your dump device needs to be larger, or
the file system containing the copy directory is too
small. It will also automatically turn compression on
if this will alleviate these conditions. This
notification appears in the system error log. If you
need to increase the size of your dump device, refer
to the article in this publication, Increasing the
Size of a Dump Device.

I suspect that Erik was seeing an LV called lg_dumplv,
which you would get on a NEW install of AIX 5.1 on a
machine larger than 4GB of memory.

Look at the /usr/lpp/bosinst/bi_main script for
details.

It would appear that you have to adjust for names of
hd7, hd6, or lg_dumplv for your dump LV names.

- pAG

--- "Saxon, Lamar" <Lamar.Saxon@AMERICREDIT.COM>