Re: Common shared filesystem

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 20:02:40 EST

I like the fact that IBM now recognizes that a lot of
apps install to /opt, and so at AIX 5, they create a
hd10opt LV (and create a /opt).

It became an administrative nightmare when my last
employer insisted on automounting (and root didn't
have write privileges) /usr/local across all machines
-- kind of defeated the purpose! Now, it did make for
having a "common" /usr/local on each system -- but the
naming convention was ... unconventional.

It seems that most 3rd party apps get put in /opt and
"tools" get put into /usr/local. Of course, the line
between "tool" and "app" is very fine.

- pAG