Re: Common shared filesystem

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 11:22:42 EST

I think that POSIX dictates that /usr/local should be present, but that you
can do what you like with it.
Making it read-only or NFS is not in principal wrong. Compare it with the
situation on a diskless client, where everything is either in memory or NFS
mounted, including /usr.

However, since /usr/local is so widely used by smaller applications it seems
foolish to prevent this; it just makes life difficult for oneself, and
harder for a newcomer to follow what's going on. There is no disadvantage
in installing in /usr/local.

In general, I believe in installing software wherever the supplier suggests.
Life is so much easier when the paths in the manuals are correct. I would
consider changing it if someone was dumb enough to try and install directly
in /, or something like that.

If one wants a tightly controlled NFS mounted directory for scripts and
what-not, then it's a trivial matter to create one with a suitable name.
There's no reason at all to appropriate /usr/local for this purpose.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2> &r=1&w=2