CDE problem

From: Dimel, Rich (Rich.Dimel@STANDARDREGISTER.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 16:18:47 EST

Gurus,

I have two P630s - both running AIX 5.1 ML-03. Both servers also have CDE
running.

On server #2, I cannot open xterm (or aixterm) remotely.

I can open an xterm/aixterm from the console, but that did not work until I
logged in via a console ascii session and ran xinit.

Everything works fine on server #1...

I have set DISPLAY on the server for the various remote hosts (win2Kpro
laptops), using the :0.0 suffix on each host's IP. I have exported the
DISPLAY. The attempt to run xterm returns: 1363-008 aixterm: Cannot make a
connection to X server <ip address>.
        If the X server is not running, run the xinit command.
        If the X server is running, check the specified display number.

I cannot successfully run xinit remotely... It fails with:
1356-800 xinit: Unable to start the X server.

1356-800 xinit: Unable to start the X server.
1356-805 xinit: Giving up.
1356-811 xinit: Unable to connect to X server.
1356-803 xinit: Server error.
1356-804 xinit: Client error.

A related issue, logging in via XDMCP (for virtual CDE) works on the first
server, but will not work on server #2. The attempt fails with: XDM session
to host failed (Session failed for display <ip address>:0 cannot open
display) (RX2112)

Again, everything works fine on the first server, I can create the virtual
CDE session with XDMCP, and run aixterm/xterm remotely... The two servers
are essentially clones of each other configuration-wise... I must be missing
something.

I'm going over my documentation, and again, I think I'm probably missing
something simple... I've checked the list's archive (thanks Simon), and have
tried all the relevant suggestions posted, but have still come up empty.

Other important considerations...

I have uncommented DTSOURCEPROFILE=true in the .dtprofile.

The systems have identical .profiles

I can connect (telnet) to the servers from the remote hosts, and ping the
remote hosts from the server...

Sorry for being so verbose... I appreciate your input(s).

Thanks & Best Regards,

Rich Dimel