Re: Aix migration 4.3 to 5L

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 08:58:10 EST

Certainly re-building from scratch is a lot cleaner than trying to
clone then delete things afterwards.

I think there are five main things to consider.
1. Software. You'll just have to run lslpps of both systems and
compare them to figure out if you need anything else.
2. Users. Don't forget groups as well. Relatively simple, I think:
/etc/passwd and /etc/groups and a bunch of stuff in /etc/security;
plus /home, of course.
3. Printers. There have been posts about this in the past; have a good
trawl of the archive. Might be worth checking the IBM Hints and Tips
as well.
4. Scripts etc. Depends where you have them. Hopefully most in nice neat
filesystems of their own.
5. Miscellaneous config. Inittab, crontab, language, /etc/environment etc.

Clearly a lot of work - mainly finding out exactly what you need - but not
actually difficult.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe