Re: Common shared filesystem

From: Sergio Luiz Novaes (algol@LCC.UFMG.BR)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 07:30:24 EST

I think /usr/local is the standard since SunOS and Solaris (SUN). Its
purpose is to install freeware, common to a specific platform, existing one
for each (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and ....) if you have different
platforms/architectures. Almost all freeware package will set this as
default (GNU for example).
For any other purpose why not to create your own exportable (NFS)
filesystems and our only standard it's naming the directory on NFS server,
always using /export as prefix (SunOS/Solaris legacy).

     Regards,

Sergio Luiz Novaes
LCC/UFMG - CENAPAD-MG/CO
Tel: +55 31 3499 5391/4910
Fax: +55 31 3499 5390

                      pSeries AIX Geek
                      <aixgeek@YAHOO.CO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      M> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: Common shared filesystem
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      16/01/2003 02:00
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

/usr/common or /usr/shared is the standard I've seen.

However, I once worked at one
linguistically-challenged dot-bomb that INSISTED on
/usr/local as a common, NFS-mounted (and read-only!)
repository for its 1200 UNIX machines.

It became an administrative nightmare installing
freeware into /usr/local.