:( Upgrade Questions concerning AIX 5.2

From: Drew (apt@DCS-SUCCESS.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 15:30:48 EST

Hello fellow AIXers!
I need a little input from some of you and I am asking these questions based
on the premise that the only dumb question is the one that is never asked.
With AIX 5.2, it will no longer support MCA or the ISA architecture. Does
this mean that if we have machines with devices plugged into the MCA slot or
the ISA slot in the computer, that they may or may not work with AIX 5.2. I
mean, I know it won't be supported by IBM but, does that mean we have to
find another way to achieve this functionality? We have several rs/6000s in
the field that use 128 port controllers ( MCA and ISA) with digi boards
connected to them that we use to attach serial terminals and printers. My
question is: can these still be used?

Thanks for your time. I have read IBMs statement of direction that clearly
states that they will no longer be supported and in most ways I agree with
IBM for not carrying these old busses any longer but man, we still have so
much of it out there that is still working.
Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.
Drew