Re: Common shared filesystem

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 12:32:59 EST

Our setup is a bit untidy at the moment as we've had to integrate three
different sites.

The standard we've agreed on now is /usr/common on each CWS, kept
synchronised with rdist, then maintained on each node with supper, (updated
hourly). Each system also has a /user/local filesystem, for anything
specific to that system.

These filesystems contain executables of all sorts and configuration files.

We also have /home/root/bin for certain scripts and files, since /usr/common
is not necessarily in rootvg. (The ideal is for it to be in an external
volume group, so that rootvg is kept "pure", but that's dependent on having
enough disks.)

Logs are generally written locally to a dedicated filesystem which we set up
on every system. Anything which needs to be held centrally generally gets
copied up to a CWS (six of them at the moment) with rcp or ftp.

We do a number of other things, but they will be phased out eventually.
(Rdist from one CWS to all systems; manually maintain a synchronised
filesystem with pcp; log directories NFS mounted from a central server;
assorted bastardised mixes!)

Specific applications may have their own requirements, of course, but we
keep those out of /usr/common and /usr/local as far as possible.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe