Re: Best practice for 7133-D40 LED ID

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 11:09:46 EST

I'm not sure that there is a best practice; it would depend too much on the
site.

I haven't changed any of ours, but that's partly because I'm lazy and partly
because we have a lot of older 010 and 020 drawers which don't have the
number anyway. I never have figured out whether the factory default is at
all meaningful; I suspect not! There would certainly be no harm in changing
the values, if you though it would be helpful. That's what it's there for!

It could be useful to provide identification if you have multiple SSA
drawers, and the obvious code would be two digit rack ID and two digit
drawer ID. Less chance of confusion when trying to tell someone else which
disk to remove, or where to plug in cables.

In my environment, that might be 0401, to show rack 4, drawer 1. Of course,
you then need to make sure that the racks are labelled. At least it saves
confusion over whether the drawers are numbered from the top or bottom, and
starting from 0 or 1.

Another option might be to have single digit rack and drawer IDs - fine,
unless you have an awful lot of disks - then use the remaining two digits
for some sort of application related code. You might use the third digit to
identify the front 8 and the fourth digit the back. If you were
clever/dumb, (depending on your point of view), you could use some sort of
binary code to identify all four quads independently.

Personally, I'd go with a simple Rack/Drawer combination.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe